Friday, June 8, 2012

Get to Know them: Eeyore1959 Edition




Who are you?

Just a 53 year old government drone.

Who are your favorite all-time players in real baseball?

Jim Northrup (Detroit Tigers), Tim Burke (Montreal Expos), John Smoltz

Do you have a favorite Kaline Player?

My favorite player was Martin Wang. He gave me many seasons of 250+ innings, where I could hide some other deficiencies of my pitching staff.

What is your favorite Kaline moment(other then when I started of course)?

My first division title. I rebuilt, felt I was one or two seasons away from contending, and a couple of moves, including claiming a Rule 5 third baseman to fill a left field opening, brought it all together.

In Hardball Dynasty, what is your strategy for allocating your budget?

Try to keep payroll under 90 million, keep the best coaches available, and allocate to areas which improve prospects.

How do you approach off-season events with players such as arbitration and free agency?

I am looking at who I need to win now, and who can I let go because I have homegrown the replacement.

What is your basic strategy for setting your starting lineups and pitching rotation?

I use a somewhat traditional lineup, and I try to keep lesser stamina pitchers from starting consecutively.

What do you believe are the most important individual player ratings for performance?

For hitters, contact and splits. For pitchers, control and pitch rating.

How do you approach in-season player events like the draft, international prospects and promotions/demotions?

I lean more on the draft, and try to get one top pitcher and one top player each season. The competition for international prospects makes it harder to get a gem at a good price. I try to be patient, not making any moves until after 40 games. I try to have a plan B or C in case a player is underperforming.

If you were to give one piece of advice to a new user, what would it be?

Watch what works with top teams, and stay true to your team plan

What is your favorite aspect of Hardball Dynasty?

Opening Day- that is when you find out if all the work is worthwhile.

Least?

Coach hiring. Too many times you think you have the spot settled, and at the eleventh hour, you have to scramble.

: If you were a sim player, what position would you play, and what would you be rated?

I would be a first baseman with a 70 glove who could catch due to a 60PC, above average power, almost zero contact, and splits which would never let me get in the show, like Phil Dykhoff on my team, only with about 15-20 less in each hitting category.